Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sprinkle Hunt 5: The Final Piece

The end of this journey is near. You can feel it in the wind. It puts a spring in your step and gives you a light heart. When you reach the blue container again, you know exactly what to do. Pushing off from the ground, you jump up and flap the walnut wings. It's a long flight up, but you reach the peak. You see it, what you knew you would see. The FLOUR FLOWER.
You see that it is an inscription in the flour, done by the indigenous people of the kitchen. They seem to have a great artistry. There is a message on the side of the containter. "Partake of the flourous fruit of the flour flower, and use it only in your greatest need." Well, 'greatest need' seems to describe your situation. You scoop up some of the flour and stuff it in your pocket. Then you jump off the peak and fly done, lightly hitting the counter. Now what? Hmmm. You sit down and think, leaning your head against the eye of egg. And you see something in the crack... You push your eye up against the crack and look. WHAT IS THIS???? OH NO!! You see the culprit of the crime- the thief of your sprinkles. And it is... SOUR CREAM TWIST! And you see him, sour cream twist, sitting at the top of the fridge, drawing up some sort of plans on paper, with your sprinkles right there next to him! They look worried and scared. You look closer... The plans seem to detail what he intends to do with the sprinkles... such as sprinkling them on himself. That wouldn't be so bad, only 1. excessive sprinkling is a terrible, terrible thing. 2. breakfast foods don't need sprinkles! You pull yourself away. You know what you have to do. You roll the egg away; you won't need it anymore. And you push off from the ground yet again, flying up to the top of the fridge. The flight takes several hours, but it gives you time to examine the different magnets and that's enjoyable. Okay, you are there! "WHAT???" gasps sour cream twist. You look at him.
"I have come to take my rightful sprinkles back! I need them! You don't!" Sour Cream Twist glares at you. "I want sprinkles. I want to make myself colorful. I want them, and I don't want anyone else to have them. And if I don't get them, I will burn them and make sure no one else will!" OH! You are astounded that he suggested burning sprinkles. What kind of a world is this? "You are a twisted delicacy!!" you say to him. "Yes, I am! I'm a maniac but I will have sprinkles. The world has given me no recognition! Bagels, Donuts, Pastrys, Hot Cross Buns! I have no place in the breakfast industry! No one knows of me! Sprinkles will give me the boost I need! Children will see me and be filled with joy! Everyone loves sprinkles and everyone will love me! I hate a world that I have no place in!" OH!! Again, you are astounded. "You are so bitter! You are so sour! Not even sprinkles will sweeten up your life." Sour Cream Twist doesn't want to talk about himself anymore. He is tired of you. He nods, and you feel the walnut wings being ripped off your back. You turn around, and his henchmen are right there. You didn't plan for this. But then you realize, you have elbows. And so you elbow the henchmen off the edge of the fridge. They fall, and Sour Cream Twist is upset, even more. He snarls at you. You reach into your pocket and pull out the flour in your pocket. You throw it at him. "NOOOOO!!!!!" he yells. "I was supposed to be down with flour! It reminds me of my early days, of being kneaded! NOOOOO! How... how dare you..." Sour Cream Twist writhes on the ground, squirming. You run to your sprinkles and hug them. Its good to be reunited. As for Sour Cream Twist... he's no longer so twisty. He squirmed his way out of twistiness and is now just a long, straight piece of dough, coated with butter, sugar, and cinnamon. You feel sorry for him. "Look," you say to him. "Look here, you don't need sprinkles to be special. You are amazing as you are. You have a twist. You have sour cream. Those are amazing characteristics. Look, if you feel overshadowed by massproduced breakfast goods, if you feel all alone... Don't. I know someone who will be your friend... Just come with me." You gesture to Sour Cream Twist, and, sniffling a little bit, he follows you. He was just lonely and embittered after all. When you introduce him to his new friend, he perks up. He squirms with happiness and twists back into shape. His new friend? Cinnamon Bun. He's twisted too, in a different way. Or maybe its rolled. At any rate, he's homemade and yummy, just like Sour Cream Twist. It's a breakfast match made in heaven.
You look at Sour Cream Twist and Cinnamon Bun and you feel happy. You look at Sprinkles at your side, and she smiles up at you. "Let's go sprinkle those cookies," you say. And you do. And they taste delicious.

1 comment:

Tricia Jean said...

This has been a journey of epic proportions. Wow. You just wrote, like, the Braveheart of Faces In Food.